About this church
All Saints stands opposite the gates of Jesus College in the heart of Cambridge, its pale stone spire a prominent city landmark.
It was built in the 1860s to the plans of the famous 19th century architect GF Bodley, and is a triumph of Victorian art and design. The simple wooden door opens into a dramatic blast of colour and pattern.
Light gleams through stained glass windows, designed by leading Arts and Crafts artists, including William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones and Ford Madox Brown.
What's more, almost every surface has painted, stencilled or gilded decoration. Pomegranates burst with seeds; flowers run riot over the walls.
There is a glorious painting of Christ, Mary and St John, with throngs of angels. The north aisle features three fine windows by CE Kempe and Co (1891-1923) together with glass by Douglas Strachan.
Fittings designed by Bodley include the alabaster font, the pulpit and the oak aisle screen.