About this church
Comprising of a chancel, aisleless nave, western tower and north and south porches, the church was built almost entirely in the 14th century in the decorated style. Many monuments are contained within the church in memory to members of the Pelham family. Of particular interest is the wooden cross, hanging in the church in honour of Charles Sackville Pelham who died in October 1914. Charles Sackville Pelham was the son of Charles Pelham, 4th Earl of Tarborough and Marcia Pelham, Countess of Yarborough. He served as a Lieutenant in C Squadron of the Royal Horse Guards during hostilities in Flanders, commanding a machine gun section. On 30 October 1914, Worsley's section was cut off at Zandvoorde by a heavy German attack. Lord Worsley was officially declared missing on the 7th of November and in January 1915 it was announced officially that he had been killed. He was 27 years old. Worsley's body had been buried by the Germans, marked with a rough wooden marker cross and the British Authorities were notified of the location of his grave. A family friend, Colonel AW James MC, had been given a copy of the burial plan by Lord Worsley's mother and he managed to locate the burial site in December 1918. He placed a grave marker on the spot. He then commissioned a simple, wooden cross inscribed with the text 'RIP Lord Worsley RHG Oct 30th 1914' and together with Charles brother, placed this on the gravesite during a later visit in January 1919. They removed the original grave marker which, today, hangs above Lord Worsley's sword and memorial plaque in the church. Lord Worsley's body was exhumed in 1921 and reburied in Ypres at the Town Cemetery Military extension, grave reference no: II.D.4 refers. The wooden cross commissioned by Colonel James was returned to the family in 1923 and now hangs on the opposite wall to the original German marker and Lord Worsley's sword.