About this church
This stone church is around 900 years old. It is a small but handsome structure with a tower steeple with three bells and a clock, a nave, chancel and a handsome porch. Most of the building dates from the 15th century, with several 18th century memorials and 19th century stained glass by Kempe. The chancel and sanctuary contain furniture by Robert ‘Mousey’ Thompson, featuring his trademark mouse carvings.
Babworth is well known for its connection with the Pilgrim Fathers, the early settlers of the Plymouth Colony in present day Massachusetts, USA. Richard Clyfton was parson here between 1586 and 1605. Two of his friends were William Brewster and William Bradford, both passengers aboard The Mayflower. The church contains many interesting items recalling the Pilgrim Fathers including the chalice used by Richard Clyfton for communion services.
In the early 20th century Babworth maintained its connections with early American heritage when the Rector was Frank Wilberforce who was the great grandson of William Wilberforce who led the campaign to abolish slavery.